Saturday, November 26, 2011

I Never Look Classy: Part 11: "Liquor," "Food" or "Blog Post"

Our day started early with a romp in the pool. Around lunch we decided to go try our luck at the local sandwich shoppes and happened upon a place near our local coffee shop, the Paradise Cafe. Two amongst our group, Clovis and Adam were ready to try the Reuben, and in their words it "did not disappoint."

At our local coffee shop near us, a Starbucks, there is a managerial type, a fashionable young lady that we have taken to calling Jodie Foster. Alternately Tina Faye, as she was wearing a pair of sunglasses that gave off that impression. She has been our barista a couple of times so far and makes quite the Decaf IceD Venti Americano (D.I.V.A.) that Derrick likes so very much.

--

Another cultural thing I have noticed is the number of businesses that label themselves simply by what they do, or sell. I've seen signs around for places such as "Liquor" and "Chiropractor."

"Appliances."

"Massages."

"Smokes."

Maybe there just aren't enough possible names for businesses to sustain all of the shops down here? I don't know.

--

For dinner we sought out a classier style of restaurant. We all wore our best, me in my suit coat, my compatriots in elegant sweaters and fine shirts. Our journey took us over the toll bridge to nearby Fort Myers and we ended up at what appeared to be a golf and country club.

Our server was named Shaye, or Shaie or something along those lines, I never did get the spelling, and she made quite the impression on us.

We had good beer, I had a good burger, and also lobster bisque is delicious (I might try making it while I am down here.)

We talked to Shae and asked her about the local area; in her words the area we were staying in is "just a bunch of houses full of old people." In my experience we are staying in just that, a retirement community on the beach. No young people at all.

The meal completed we paid our cheques, plastic for Clovis and Derrick, cash for Adam and myself. I left a generous tip and we exited.

Upon arrival at home we began talking of things to do for the evening. Adam said he wanted to hit up an ice cream parlour while looking through his wallet. It DAWNED ON HIM at that moment that there was something amiss.

"Dude..." he started. "I think that I left our waitress a 58 dollar tip."

We all stared at him with expressions of bemusement.

"Yup. I had a 100, and I left the 50 from the change with her by accident."

Oop. I guess Shaeye was pleased with our group that night!

--

Later in the evening we drove around looking for some sort of fast food, but it turns out that everything closes really early here. We ended up at a Wendy's with, it seemed, every other person in the entire city, trying to buy some Junior Bacon Cheeseburgers.

Midnight swim, burgs, and sleep. That was the day.

Good.

No comments: